Saturday, June 2, 2012

My favourite Heston things

I am a big fan of Hesto Blumenthal because he is a genius. When you feel like a kid again, excited like when you could have ice-cream - well that is truly special.

Dinner by Heston opened up in the Mandarin Oriental in London. I booked it for a special occasion and  it would be one of my top ten experiences for 2012. As soon as you step into the restaurant, the aromas jump start your evening and you can't wait to tuck in. Not all the dishes will blow your mind, but I have to say most of the ones we tried did. And even just reading the menu got me bouncing in my seat. After the starter I was thinking about when I could make my next reservation here. A special mention goes to the fruit meat, steak and tipsy cake, which were all divine.

But sadly Dinner is not a place I can frequent so I settle for buying the products he puts his name to in Waitrose, and these are all real treats - duck and sour cherry sausage, salted caramel popcorn and the popping candy chocolate tart especially. I even ate the famous Christmas pudding that sells for ridiculous amounts on ebay - in some cases hundreds of pounds and I don't even like fruit cake!

But Heston doesn't always shine. The Hinds Head Bray pub was overpriced and disappointing. And his tv shows lack pizazz. The man is not a God but he is still a superhero in my book. Who would have thought a lanky bald guy could be so great? May they write songs about him and be entered int the history books. Long live the Blum!

You may also want to read:

No comments:

Post a Comment